Reflection #1

Yesterday was the first day that we talked about Mizzou in one of my LS classes. I was surprised to hear that so many people (and let me point out the fact that the majority the class is white and that I am the only person of color in the class) knew little to nothing about Mizzou, or any events similar to it. I was heart broken. I couldn't even put together the words to try to explain it to them. Of course they all knew what happened with Paris because the media only cares about exposing when white people are being the victim of a terrorist attack. But people of color are terrorized every day by extremist groups. But of course we only broadcast when people of color are doing something wrong in society, never when something wrong is being done to them.



I just want to tell white people, if you have all this privilege, why don't you learn about the ways in which you have privilege and can benefit from it. Don't just go day by day knowing you have privilege and be unaware of the positive impacts it has in your life. Use this privilege to speak up about the acts of aggression towards people of color. It's crazy how we are all the same age, we have had the same life span and yours has been more fruitful in terms of social acceptance. Why wouldn't you want everyone to be accepted in your own community, why marginalize anyone? 

And to the people of color deciding not to attend BSU events or protests because it doesn't "affect you," I hope you realize that it does and that we are stronger in numbers.

No comments