gangs?

my whole life i heard "soo-woo" out my window
it was something i didn’t know
but it was frequent, like the crow calls
from birds perched outside my home

men pitched it high and low
so i started calling too
out my humble dyckman abode
something "birds" surely do

didn’t know what a gang was, 
but i sure knew what they do
scare, murk and kill niggas
even for a two by two

but no one taught me the difference
between family and a gang
so in my notebooks i scrachted in “ABT”
said it’s cause that’s my sister’s dad

not affiliated with ANY gangs. I'm reflecting on how i would hear soowoo so often, every man's call distinct. it began to sound like a song, something birds do on perched trees as they call after each other. i mention crows because i heard them a lot outside my window when i lived in Ellwood st.

i moved out of dyckman when i was 13, i never learned that soowoo was affiliated with a gang until much later.

"abt"= all about thayer. i didnt know it was a "gang", i just thought it was a trendy graffiti thing, so i grafittied my own notebooks because my sister's dad is from thayer, just a few blocks away from me.


if you google "abt graffiti thayer" portraits  of Abbott Handerson Thayer come up , lolololol 
google searches are so eurocentric, gtfoooo

No comments