Everybody meet “Princess” (ADD HOW THESE ILLNESSES BECOME CHARAVTER TRAITS AND PPL ARE NOT CARED FOR)

Everybody meet “Princess” (as I referred to her).

 Upon mocking her with my friend for singing too loud and off key, we were having a good time out of a selfish thing. At first she was aimlessly walking up and down Union Square. She stopped pacing and stood in front of us, yelling about her love for chicken and her desire to fly. When she wasn’t doing that, she was engaging in the performing arts by singing and dancing for anyone who cared enough to watch and indulge her.





Lost within the world that she had created with her black headphones plugged into her ears, Princess sang along to song choices ranged from Nicki Minaj to Lauryn Hill. The fact that she was overweight and dancing made me laugh hysterically. Watching her from a distance, I’d watch her laugh. She saw me laughing, walked up to me and laughed even harder, until she asked me to take a picture of her. Those around me just stared and laughed as I awkwardly agreed.

I encouraged her shenanigans by taking several shots of her and reciprocating her excitement by speaking back with urban vernacular to hype her up by saying, “Yas Princess, fuck it up yas, girl you perf though.”

My friend Christian thought I was stupid for taking a picture of someone from a psychiatric ward, and I just said she was crazy as hell and worth the laugh. A couple of the strangers around me were joking around with me and I was saying harsh jokes they cracked up at.

An hour or so later she yells out that she can no longer deal with the doctors and the psychiatric ward, which really shocked me because we were joking about her being from the nut house. She rambled on about how she is frustrated that she cannot lose any weight and that it will take over a year, to which she proceeded to sing and dance and talk and laugh by herself.

And it hit me what an ass hole I was and how people are all the same, because I know damn well I laugh dance and sing to myself when I’m alone. This is how Princess made herself happy with all she was dealing with, and it took too long for me to realize that people cope differently.

A message from a rude New Yorker to the rest, don’t be such assholes.

No comments